The photo above is of the artist (center), taken from the bridge’s perspective.
Contact: email@example.com or 507-454-2266
I work primarily on paper with pastels, do collage and assemblage with found material, make intaglio prints by etching on copper with aquatint and also make linoleum cuts. Subjects are the human figure, landscape, townscape. Recent work has been in oils on canvas.
The geography and buildings of Winona have inspired me for years…first for photography, now for landscape art “sur le motif.” I love working outside, and pastels are easy to haul. And you must slow down and pay attention. I am interested in what is “out there” in so-called reality, and this is enigmatic and surreal enough for me. Things change while you are looking at them steadily. Or perhaps you too change in this process? Another interest is figure drawing and portraiture. I revere Degas, Cassatt, Corot in his Italian landscape sketches and figures, Kurt Schwitters and Joseph Cornell, William Kentridge. Collage and assemblage; with found material one tastes the joys of frugality and the thrills of serendipity, a gamble with only an upside.
- 1998 Southeastern MN Art Exhibition, Rochester Art Center MN, juror Cynthia Gehrig
- 2000s LaCrosse WI, Odin Gallery; Lanesboro MN, Cornucopia Gallery; Minneapolis, Icebox Gallery; Winona MN, Acoustic Café, Blue Heron Gallery, Ed’s NoName Bar, Winona MN. Winona Public Library; Winona Senior Center. “Front Porch” exhibits with Great River Shakespeare Festival, various jurors.
- 2004 Fargo ND, Plains Art Museum, “Art on the Plains.” Juror, Eleanor Heartley
- 2010 Winona MN, Fine Artists of Southeastern Minnesota, Summer Show. Juror Elizabeth Armstrong
- 2011 Northampton MA, Janotta Gallery, Smith College, juried Reunion Art Exhibit; Lanesboro Art Center, H2O group exhibit. Page Theatre, St Mary’s University, Winona, MN
- 2013 Acoustic Café Winona MN, July-August, solo; Some Sum Gallery, Winona MN, December. Prints
- 2014 The Here There, Lyon Smith/Some Sum, Winona MN January, juror Kjellgre Alkire
- 2015 Acoustic Café Winona MN, July-August. solo
- late 50s One undergrad studio art class. B.A. English.
- 1961-88 Several grad schools, marriage, three children, volunteerism, numerous jobs, antiquarian bookselling. Ohio, Minnesota.
- 1989 Begin again with art, in Winona, Minnesota, in a Community Ed drawing class
- 1990s Single classes in painting, drawing, printmaking at Winona State University.
AmeriCorps. Certificate in computer graphics Western Wisconsin Technical School.
Tutoring writing/study skills WSU.
- 2000s Biweekly life drawing groups in Winona/LaCrosse, printmaking classes, landscape in countryside, riverside.
- WSU Wings program, coordinator; WSU Grants