The Music Director and Conductor is responsible for the artistic leadership and direction of the orchestra, including programming, concert preparation, and performances, within established budgets. The successful candidate will begin as director for the 2018/2019 Concert Season.
The Winona Symphony Orchestra is a small professional orchestra in Winona, MN. Founded in 1908, the WSO is the oldest arts organization in southeast Minnesota. Our mission is to enrich the Winona area with live performances of high quality symphonic music, to provide performing opportunities for talented area musicians, and to promote an appreciation of live classical music among the young people of our area.
Currently, the Winona Symphony Orchestra performs three concerts annually, including a school-day Children’s Concert. We draw musicians for our baroque- / classical-sized ensemble from the broader Winona area. Musicians are provided music well in advance, and the orchestra rehearses three to four times during the week leading up to each concert.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Select repertoire and develop programs for the concert seasons
- Work with the WSO Board of Directors and Arts Administrator to produce each musical season
- Prepare for and conduct concerts, including selecting and confirming soloists and other musicians according to instrumentation, confirming venues and venue availability, obtaining and distributing music in a timely manner, and leading rehearsals
- Assist in general promotion of the WSO within the larger local and musical community
- Maintain high musical standards
- Work effectively within a budget
- Maintain WSO’s status as a respectful work environment
- Foster relationships with others in the local music community
- Support and participate in fundraising efforts as appropriate
- Serve on the Winona Symphony Orchestra Board as Music Director
- Be a skilled conductor and leader
- Have a proven record in providing high-quality performance experiences
- Have the skills and ability to plan and implement a concert season
- Have a basic knowledge of the functioning of a non-profit organization
Winona, MN is a small university town nestled among the bluffs of the Mississippi River with an active arts and music scene. Highlights include the Minnesota Marine Art Museum, a summer Beethoven Festival, the Great River Shakespeare Festival, and the Frozen River Film Festival.
Please direct questions to Tim Hornseth, WSO Board President or to Gretchen Michlitsch, WSO Board Vice President.
To apply, submit a résumé or CV, a cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. For full consideration, please apply by Mar. 1, 2018.
The Winona Symphony Orchestra is a member of the River Arts Alliance. To learn more about the benefits of membership, please visit: riverartsalliance.org/JOIN.